Sunday 7 October 2012

Challenge #7 Carrot Cake

So the next recipe in Mary Berry's Baking Bible is (drum roll please)...Carrot Cake! If you know me, you'll know I'm not a fan of carrots in cake. Don't get me wrong, I like unusual combinations and textures but the carrot does not do it for me. But I trust Mary Berry so we'll see if she converts me...


So step one was very easy - bung all the ingredients into a bowl and mix (low maintenance - I like it!). It definitely wins the award for ugliest batter ever. 


The recipe included eggs, walnuts, carrots (obviously), muscavado sugar, flour, sunflower oil and....banana! 


So after whizzing it together you simply put it in the oven for about an hour and ta daaaaa...we have a carrot cake!


Then it was time to top it with cream cheese icing, decorate with walnut halves and share with friends and a cup of tea. 


And what did I think? I think it was a glorified banana cake but not as nice. Mary Berry let me down. It was OK but quite filling and dense. The last piece is still in my fridge and I'm not dreaming of eating it any time soon. So not a carrot cake convert yet but the cream cheese icing was gorgeous mmm.




No comments:

Post a Comment