Friday 7 June 2013

Classic Victoria Sponge

If you're English, it is essential that you know how to make a Victoria Sponge. 
 So I'm going to tell you how because it's so easy. This is for a 9 inch one.

12oz - Marg - room temp
120z - Caster Sugar
12oz - SR Flour
1tsp - Baking Powder
6 - Eggs
2 tsp - Vanilla Essence 

Step 1. Bung it all in a mixer and mix
Step 2. Divide up between the 2 tins and put them in the oven on 180 for 25-35mins
Step 3. Make some butter cream. Put soft butter in a bowl (maybe half a pack) beat it and then keep adding icing sugar until is stops tasting like butter. Add some vanilla essence too.
Step 4. When the sponges are cool, smoother one half in strawberry or raspberry jam and one side with butter cream.
Step 5. Say a little prayer and then flip the jam coated one on top of the other one
Step 5. Dust with icing or caster sugar (I like putting a doily on top and making a pretty pattern)
Step 6. Put the kettle on and eat a slice with a cup of tea and a friend


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently made my first ever Victoria sponge at age 44 with my daughter for my dad's birthday. I didn't have any vanilla essence so I used almond instead tasted fabulous. Thank you for such a simple no fuss recipe. I've just made a second one for mother's day so fingers crossed it tastes just as good with vanilla essence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lorraine - that's so exciting! So pleased it worked for you, almond essence sounds lovely, I bet with cherry jam that would taste just like a bakewell tart cake - yum

    ReplyDelete