Saturday 23 March 2013

Speckled Easter Egg Cake

I 'spotted' this rather unique looking cake on a blog I follow and loved it. I'm tempted not to put the link on here because then you'll see how much better the original is, but I will, because that's the nice thing to do, seeing as though I copied it! http://thecakeblog.com/2013/02/speckled-egg-cake.html

Make 3 sponges. I chose chocolate (because why wouldn't you?!). I used a 7" cake tin. 
Make a batch of fluffy buttercream (the longer you beat it the lighter it will be - also adding a bit of milk helps) and make it a pastel blue. If you look very closely in the bowl, you'll see my legs! Lucky you...
Stack the cakes using the buttercream.
Smother the rest of the buttercream on the top and sides. You'll need to do a 'crumb coat' first.
 Now for the speckles! Mix together 1 tsp of cocoa powder with 1 and a half tsp of vanilla essence. 
Using a paint brush (a new one!) or a pastry brush flick it over the cake. It gets everywhere. 
And then top with mini eggs.
I made this cake to share with some friends at Church, at an Alpha course. Another friend had made some yummy marble cupcakes to match. 
Later on in the week, I turned them into cupcakes at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment