Thursday 4 April 2013

Marmalade Cake

I'm not a fruit cake fan, but my husband is. It's my life long ambition to find a go between that satisfies both of our cake needs!! A friend of mine told me about a lovely Marmalade cake recipe that sounded like a good start. (I also must mention that this friend is an amazing artist you must have a look at her work www.fionachariscarswell.com). 
It's an unusual recipe, in that it has no eggs, and ingredients include lard and vinegar.
You begin by rubbing fats into flour and salt, add sugar, mixed fruit, spice and citrus rinds.
Gradually stir in milk, then the vinegar.
Add marmalade (luckily both our Mums make lots of scrummy homemade marmalade so we have plenty to use in cakes as well as on toast!).
Pour into a loaf tin and top with Demerara sugar and cook for an hour ish.
 It came out nice and moist and citrusy  - I liked it, especially the crunchy Demerara sugar on top. Unfortunatly my husband liked it less and thought it was too 'cakey' - which is probably why I found it alright!
Here's the recipe is you want to try it...
8oz SR flour sifted
4oz caster sugar
2oz butter
2oz lard – both at room temp
1 rounded tablespoon marmalade
Grated rind of half lemon
 ‘’         ‘’        ‘’ orange
Half teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon vinegar
Pinch salt
6 fluid oz milk
4oz dried fruit/sultanas
1 tablespoon Demerara sugar

Preheat oven to gas mark 4 or 180degrees
Line a loaf tin 7half’’x 3 ‘’ approx



No comments:

Post a Comment